user_mobilelogo

american academy nicosia slide 1 1800x500

The American Academy Nicosia is a school which first opened its doors on October 16th, 1922.   


The founders, who had earlier started an Academy for boys, established the school in response to local demand for an English language school for girls; the American Academy for Girls.  In its early years, it was both a Boarding and a Day school.  Thirteen students enrolled in its first year, two of them were boarding students. The teacher who headed up the work was Miss Lola Weir; with Miss Ada Wilson as her Assistant.  Helen and Iphigenia Aegyptiades, refugees from Smyrna and former teachers at the American University there, joined the staff to teach Music and Home Economics.  School and Boarding House were originally in the West of the old city of Nicosia. Growth was quite rapid and by 1927 enrolment had reached 89 students.

 

Photo-American-Academy-Nicosia-Heritage

 

 

The school year 1941-1942 saw the Academy evacuated to Kyrenia, due to the fear of enemy action in World War II, with a return the following year.  Relocation to its present premises outside the city walls in 1955 provided more extensive grounds and larger buildings. In 1976, the school became independent from its founding mission with a board of Cypriot educationalists and other professionals set up to manage it.  

In 1977, the school became coeducational and in the years that followed, there was an expansion in both its enrollment, its grounds and its buildings.

 

Ask a Question
1000 characters left